JASON PETERS LAB: posted on August 9, 2023
Job Title: Research Associate (Postdoc) in Bacterial Genetics, Systems Biology
Job Description: We are seeking a motivated post-doctoral fellow to use CRISPR-based functional genomics approaches to study bioenergy-relevant α-Proteobacteria (e.g., Zymomonas, Rhodobacter, and Novosphingobium) as part of the Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center. The candidate will identify and characterize genes that lead to increased biofuel/bioproduct yield. For instance, these genes may increase resistance to toxins found in plant feedstocks or mitigate inhibition by the biofuel/bioproduct itself.
- Constructing and phenotyping genome-scale CRISPR libraries in bioenergy-relevant α-Proteobacteria.
- Quantifying CRISPR screen results using Next Generation Sequencing (e.g., Illumina sequencing).
- Bioinformatic analysis to identify and characterize screen hits.
- Follow-up experiments to validate genes as potential engineering targets for biofuel/bioproduct production strains.
Ph.D. in Microbiology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Systems Biology, Synthetic Biology, or related fields.
Candidates must be within 2 years of PhD graduation and Ph.D. must be granted by the start date.
• Strong written and oral communication skills to collaborate and communicate effectively
with a team of researchers from diverse scientific backgrounds.
• Strong candidates will have knowledge of and skills in microbiology, genetics, and
• Experience in the genetic manipulation of model and non-model bacteria and/or
synthetic biology, systems biology, and bioinformatics are highly desirable.
Required application materials
Send a cover letter (up to 2 pages) describing your interest(s) in this position and relevant skills, a CV, and the name and contact information of three professional references.
To apply – Please direct completed applications to Jason Peters (firstname.lastname@example.org).7i8